Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Vegan + Gluten Free
Happy Memorial Day weekend!
What plans do you have going on this weekend? Any social distancing cook outs or parking lot parties? This year I wanted to attend one of our favorite musical festivals, Delfest. It would have been the first time introducing Keegan to some live bluegrass music, but unfortunately plans have changed. Luckily Delfest will be streaming “Del fest at home” so, we’re (hopefully) going to bring the TV outside and celebrate dancing to our favorite bluegrass bands and eating all the foods.
This weekend has always been one I look forward to every year. It’s the like the opening weekend for summer. The weather finally starts warming up to the 70’s + 80’s and the sun shine lasts all day long. Even though we can’t celebrate like we normally do, I still have a fun spring/summer recipe for you to make and enjoy with your family and friends.
Spring and summer mean fresh strawberries. So, let’s welcome the warm weather back into our lives and get cooking, grilling and partying! Say hello to this delicious vegan + gluten free strawberry rhubarb crisp! I’ve made it twice already and plan on making it again to share with loved ones this weekend. I especially love this recipe because it just screams “SUMMER IS NEAR. I’m a summer baby so this should come as no surprise that summer is my favorite season. This strawberry rhubarb crisps represents summer in all the ways because it’s tart, sweet and full of wholesome ingredients. It’s easy to make and pairs beautifully with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream. Ben and I paired it with ‘so delicious’ dairy free, coconut ice cream. I picked up a little pint of the no sugar added and it tasted perfect with the warm golden-brown crust and sweet + tart filling. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. For ingredient substitutes please refer to notes below (after the recipe directions).
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp vegan + gluten free
- 8" oven safe cooking dish
- Mixing bowls
- rubber spatula
For the Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 2 cups strawberries halved
- 2 cups rhubarb chopped
- 3 tbsp arrowroot
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl, add all of your filling ingredients. Combine fresh strawberries, rhubarb, arrowroot, lemon juice, vanilla and maple syrup. Stir until well combined and transfer into an oval 8” oven safe dish (an 8×8 square dish works too).
- In the same bowl you mixed your filling in, combine all of your dry ingredients for the crisp topping. Combine almond flour, rolled oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon and sea salt. Whisk for 30 seconds and then add in vanilla extract + melted coconut oil. Mix with a rubber spatula until “wet crumbs” form.
- Transfer the crisp topping into your oval dish, on top of the strawberry rhubarb filling. Spread evenly on top of the filling and place in oven to bake for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream. We love pairing this dessert with so delicious, no sugar added coconut milk ice cream. If you have leftovers (I’m impressed if you do) store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Did you make this recipe?
Please tag @staysweetwellness, follow me on Instagram and #staysweetwellness
I’d love to see your Memorial Day weekend creations!
Happy Memorial Day and have a safe + happy weekend!