Hot and Healthy White Chicken Chili
This white chicken chili is exactly what you need this brisk winter season. It’s easy to make, ready in no time and tastes amazing! I personally prefer making this chili in the crockpot to leave and marinate throughout the day, but you can also whip it up and enjoy in 30 minutes or less. I love this specific recipe because it’s light, zesty and a little spicy. It’s also extremely versatile so you can add or omit most ingredients if they don’t strike your fancy. Top with fresh cilantro, lime juice and Greek yogurt for a tangy, creamy finish. I promise you won’t be disappointed and I’m doubtful there will be leftovers.
Why you’ll love this recipe?
Easy to make, enjoy and save for later. This white chicken chili recipe is quick, hot, healthy and tastes amazing!
Freezing this recipe is also extremely easy and makes an effortless weeknight meal. Pair with some sour dough bread for a tasty gut friendly treat. I find it helpful to make a double batch of this white chicken chili and freeze half of it to enjoy at a later date. It’s a lifesaver when you have a toddler running around and don’t have the time or energy to make dinner.
To freeze simply pour half of the chili into a freezer friendly dish, let cool to room temperature for about an hour or so and then seal to freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, take out of the freezer the night before and let thaw in the refrigerator. Then warm up on stove top on medium/low heat OR even easier, dump in a crock pot in the morning and leave on low heat to cook during the day.
This recipe is especially perfect for the winter season when you need a hot meal to warm you up. It’s packed with protein, fiber and prebiotics to give your body the energy it needs to repair from your busy schedule. The beans and chicken in the recipe pack in the protein which is essential for energy and muscle repair. While the broth, coriander, garlic and onion serve as prebiotics which are great for gut health. It’s a well-rounded recipe that will leave you feeling healthy and satisfied.
What you’ll need:
- Ghee or olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Yellow onion
- Chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- Canelli beans
- Organic frozen corn
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Jarred, sliced jalapenos
- Sea salt + pepper
- Chili powder
- Dried oregano
- Garlic salt
- Chicken broth
How to make?
If you’re an individual with little time and/or energy due to well, being human (having a busy lifestyle, demanding job, kids etc.) then this is the recipe for you! First, you’ll begin with your chicken. If your chicken isn’t already cooked, cook on stove top with some olive oil and a splash of water. Cover in a small skillet and let cook on low heat for 12-15 minutes, flipping about half way through. Before transferring chicken to a cutting board, make sure it’s fully cooked and white all the way through. Next shred your cooked chicken with two forks and set aside.
Your next step is to sauté the onion and garlic until lightly browned and fragrant. Add your cooked onions and garlic to a large crockpot and one by one, start adding the remainder of your ingredients starting with the shredded chicken and ending with the broth. Cover crockpot and set on low to cook for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
If you don’t have a crockpot, no worries! What you’re going to want to do is add all of your ingredients to a large stock pot and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top with fresh cilantro, lime wedges and plain Greek yogurt.
Hot and Healthy White Chicken Chili
- crock pot (preferred but not needed)
- rubber spatula
- 1 tablespoon ghee or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 large, organic chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 can Canelli beans
- 1½ cups organic, frozen corn
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup jalapeno slices, from a jar
- 1/4 cup juice from jalapeno jar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 box chicken broth
- If you haven't done so already, begin by cooking your chicken breasts. Drizzle a little olive oil into a small skillet and turn on low/medium heat. Add your chicken breasts with a little bit of water (about 1/4 cup) and cover. Let cook for about 5 minutes and flip. Cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Once cooked, remove from skillet onto a cutting board. Use two forks to finely shred each chicken breast and then set aside.
- Turn your crockpot onto high heat and set aside. On stove top, add your tablespoon of olive oil to a medium skillet along with minced garlic and chopped onion. Simmer on low heat and cook until lightly browned and fragrant. Immediately transfer cooked garlic and onion to crock pot along with the shredded chicken.
- In order, from beans to chicken broth, add the remainder of the ingredients to the crockpot and cover to cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low to cook for 6-8 hours. Stir occasionally. Feel free to add in more jalapenos for some extra spice or lime juice for a hint of tang. Top with your favorite toppings, i personally love avocado slices, extra lime juice, cilantro and a dollop of plain greek yogurt.
Did you make this recipe?
Please use the #staysweetwellness, tag me on Instagram and follow along for more healthy and wholesome recipes like this one.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by. I appreciate each and every one of you!
Until next time,