My Wholesome Superfood Banana Bread!
First of all, I know many of you are probably asking “what constitutes a superfood?” and my answer to you is this…. a superfood is a whole food that contains a boat load of nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants. Some of the most popular superfoods include blueberries, almonds, avocado, salmon, chia seeds etc. So it’s always a good idea to add them to recipes. That’s one reason I can’t stop raving about this amazing banana bread! I’ve been eating it for breakfast every single day this week. Alongside a cup of hot Raspberry Leaf Tea- there’s nothing cozier.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- whole wheat flour
- ground flax seed
- baking soda
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- chia seeds or hemp seeds (or both!)
- plain greek yogurt
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- almond milk
- dark chocolate bar
Why you’ll love this recipe
This recipe is super versatile. You can eat it for breakfast, as a snack, dessert or save for a later occasion. This bread can easily be frozen and used for up to 3 months later! Enjoy it topped with a variety of yummy pairings like creamy peanut butter and banana, or (even more superfoods) almond butter and blueberries. Either way, you simply can’t go wrong. I hope you enjoy this recipe knowing its full of real wholesome ingredients and curated with love.
Any Mama’s to be or currently breastfeeding mama’s?
If you’re a mama to be, or currently breastfeeding, I highly recommend this recipe for postpartum. It’s so easy to make ahead, slice and freeze for later. This recipe was a life saver for me once my husband went back to work from paternity leave. All I had to do was warm a slice of this superfood packed bread up in the toaster oven and top with almond butter and blueberries. It took little to no effort and was ready in less than 5 minutes.
Super Food Banana Bread
- loaf pan
- rubber spatula
- Mixing bowls
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds or hemp seeds
- 3 ripe mashed bananas
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup full fat plain greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons melted then cooled coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 oz. dark chocolate bar chopped 72% cacao or more
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a bread pan with coconut oil. Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mash ripe bananas with a fork until smooth and chunky. Mix in the remainder of wet ingredients until well combined.
- Slowly poor dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix. Stir lightly until just combined- don’t over do it!
- Last but not least, fold in the chopped dark chocolate until evenly distributed through the batter. Slowly pour the batter into the bread pan and top with (optional) pepitas + a sprinkle of the chopped dark chocolate. Bake in oven for 53-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.Once bread is cooled wrap in parchment paper and a dish towel to keep from drying out. Store in an airtight container to keep fresh or slice and freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe?
Please tag @staysweetwellness, follow me on instagram and #staysweetwellness
I love seeing your wholesome creations!
Until next time,